2380 Bisso Lane
Concord, CA 94520
Expanded Food Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP)
Marisa Neelon is the Nutrition, Family & Consumer Sciences Advisor for UC Cooperative Extension in Contra Costa County and oversees the EFNEP program in Alameda County. Her education and applied research program focuses on food security and the prevention of childhood obesity and chronic disease in low-income populations. She received a B.S. in Nutrition from UC Berkeley and a M.S. in Nutrition from Tufts University. Marisa is a registered dietitian (R.D.)
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Human Nutrition, Food Safety, and Human Health and Well-Being
- Food Safety
- Requirements and Function of Nutrients and Other Food Components
- Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Nutrition and Hunger in the Population
- Obesity Prevention
- Individual and Family Resource Management
- Consumer Economics
- Nutrition Education
- Healthy Families and Communities
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Kaiser, L.; Chaidez, V. (2014). "Food resource management education with SNAP participation improves food security." Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Jones, Anna Marie; Lamp, Cathi (2014). "Reliability and Validity of Nutrition Knowledge Questionnaire for Adults." Journal of nutrition education and behavior 47(1): 69-74.
- Crawford P., Schneider C. (2013). "Communitywide strategies key to preventing childhood obesity." California Agriculture 67(1): 37-44.
- Townsend, Marilyn S.; Ganthavorn, Chutima (2013). "Improving the Quality of Data From EFNEP Participants With Low Literacy Skills: A Participant-driven Model." Journal of nutrition education and behavior 46(4): 309-314.
- Townsend, Marilyn S.; Ganthavorn, Chutima (2013). "Improving the Quality of Data From EFNEP Participants With Low Literacy Skills: A Participant-driven Model." Journal of nutrition education and behavior
- Kaiser, Lucia; Schneider, C. (2013). "Plan, Shop, Save, Cook: Influence of SNAP on Program Outcomes." Journal of nutrition education and behavior 45(4): S15-S16.
- Townsend, M.; Donohue, S. (2012). "Designing a Food Behavior Checklist for EFNEP's Low-Literate Participants." Journal of nutrition education and behavior 44(4): S74-S75.
- Townsend, M.; Schneider, C. (2012). "Designing the EFNEP Food Descriptions Guide for 5 Cultural Groups for the Dietary Recall Process." Journal of nutrition education and behavior 44(4): S16.
- Kaiser, Lucia L.; Schneider, Constance (2012). "Development and Use of an Evaluation Tool for Taste-Testing Activities by School-Aged Children." Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 112(12): 2028-2034.
- Townsend, M.; Ganthavorn, C. (2012). "EFNEP Data Collection: Using Cognitive Load Theory to Design a New Family Record." Journal of nutrition education and behavior 44(4): S74.
- Townsend, M.; Schneider, C. (2012). "Enhancing Quality of EFNEP Data: Designing a Diet Recall Form for the Low-literate Participant in a Group Setting." Journal of nutrition education and behavior 44(4): S15-S16.
- Kaiser, L.; Schneider, C. (2012). Evaluation of Nutrition Outcomes in Youth: Challenges and Opportunities. Youth: Practices, Perspectives and Challenges. Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Lippitt, N.; McMurdo, T. (2010). Healthalicious Cooking: Learning About Food and Physical Activity. UC DANR. 2010.
- Matthiessen, T.; Horowitz, M. (2010). Insights from an Evaluation of a Healthy Living Project. UC Davis, CA, 4-H Center for Youth Development. 2010.
- Donohue, S.; Ganthavorn, C. (2002). Reading Up the Food Guide Pyramid. UC DANR. 2002.